Hurricane Sandy left a wake of devastation in her path. While we didn’t experience the devastation like the east coast, Ohio did feel the impact of Sandy’s wind and rains. There were power outages and many toppled trees. We lost some branches from our tree and thank God nothing serious for us.
Sometimes during catastrophes, you can feel helpless and wonder what one person can do?
One of the quickest and most effective ways to grow your confidence and experience self-fulfillment is to contribute to making someone else’s life better. Everyone’s talents and abilities are different. But thankfully, opportunities to serve and make a difference are all around you.
Making an impact in your world is as easy as deciding that serving others is important to you. You can bring a smile to someone’s face and impact people’s lives in a dramatic way with simple acts of kindness.
Try these ideas to make the most of your gifts and talents to serve the world around you and make a difference:
- Volunteer.One of the best ways to make a difference is to volunteer your time. From working at a local soup kitchen to volunteering your time for charity fundraisers, there is an abundance of ways to help out and pitch in.
- Spend time picking up trash or taking care of animals at the local pound. Visit the residents of a nursing home. Get active in your church. Seek the needs of your community and search within yourself to find what you have to offer to help meet those needs.
- Think of causes you believe in and contact organizations that support those causes. There may be local fundraisers in your area that you can participate in or help organize. These organizations may have other ways for you to help that you may not have even thought of.
- Donate money. There are hundreds of worthy charities that make a difference in the lives of people all over the world. Even small donations can go a long way to helping others. When pooled together with the generosity of others, your contribution can have a significant impact.
- If you’re not sure what charity to donate to, you can give money to a local church or school fund raising project.
- Organizations like the Red Cross are always grateful for the contributions of generous people who want to make a difference. When the world faces a disastrous earthquake, hurricane, or other natural disaster, the Red Cross and other organizations are there to help. You can help with your donation.
- Donate blood. Blood is essential for medical aid, and you can even save someone’s life by donating blood if you meet the health requirements. Blood banks often do blood drives at strategic locations throughout the community because these blood banks often lack the supply needed to meet the demand. You can help to meet that demand.
Whatever you decide to do, take time today to think about how your gifts and abilities may be used to serve the people around you. You’ll be glad you did, and you’ll make someone’s day at the same time.