Don’t you just love movies? An inspirational movie can possess the power to stir you into action in a mere 90 minutes. A seemingly simple movie may even have the power to change your life!
I created a list of the top 10 inspirational movies to get you fired up and motivated:
- It’s a Wonderful Life (1946). It’s a Wonderful Life will be found on most inspirational movie lists because it has such a simple and universal message to give. The movie’s main character learns what life would look like if he’d never been born. He sees how bleak everything looks and learns the true meaning of life. This is an oldie, but goodie.
- Dead Poet’s Society (1989). The message of Dead Poet’s Society is quite simple as well; it’s all about carpe diem, which means, "Seize the day." This movie has the power to inspire by showing you that the time is now to take action to achieve your hopes and dreams. Life’s not about making other people happy; it’s about your own happiness.
- Shawshank Redemption (1994). A story about the triumph of the human spirit in the environment of hopelessness. The main character, Andy, is wrongly accused and sentence to prison for a double murder he didn’t commit. He’s befriended by an older prisoner who helps him cope with the drudgery, brutality and cruelity of prison life. It’s Andy’s quite indomitable spirit that wins the admirations of his fellow mates and eventually his redemption. A must see ending.
- Field of Dreams (1989). Field of Dreams has been known to tug at the heartstrings of even tough men. This movie is also about acting on what you believe in. The heart of the movie yields the inspiration that you should follow your dreams even if you have regrets and even if logic is telling you otherwise.
- The Sound of Music (1965). The Sound of Music is a movie about doing what’s right in your heart, even when there’s overwhelming opposition to the idea. It is set in a time of war and promotes the importance of loving your family and following your heart.
- Life is Beautiful (1998). Life is Beautiful is the one to turn to if you want to have great laughs and great cries all balled up into one movie. Also set in a time of war, a loving father is taken to a concentration camp with his son. He convinces his son that it’s all a game so he doesn’t bring worry and hurt into his son’s life.
- Shakespeare in Love (1998). Shakespeare in Love is known as an incredibly well crafted movie. It creates more fiction about fiction from the past, but includes some truths in there as well. Also, the moviegoer will end up believing that true love always wins in the end.
- Chariots of Fire (1981). This inspirational movie is a true story about two men who set out to meet their goals of competing in the Olympic Games. They show the viewers that they’ll do everything that it takes to achieve their goals, except give up their honor.
- A Beautiful Mind (2001). This movie details the life of John Nash, a famous mathematician. He has incredibly abilities but also must overcome incredible struggles. The movie details how he gets through life with the help of his loved ones.
- Mr. Holland’s Opus (1996). Mr. Holland’s Opus is the movie to go to when you feel that life is not going how you intended. The main character has to deal with seemingly giving up his true dream to fall back on a Plan B. Music is his life and when his son is born deaf, he feels as if he can’t relate. The ending of the movie will show you how truly inspirational it is.
I could probably also add Star Wars – The Empire Strikes Back. Lots of insightful quotes in that movie. Gone with Wind, Pirates of Silicon Valley, The Bucket List… when you really think about it, there are many inspiration movies.
What movies would you put on your top ten list? Share them in the comments below.