If you’re like most people, figuring out what you’re supposed to do with your life can be a challenge.
What is a life purpose anyway? For this article I’m going to define it as something that you love to do that also has a great impact on the world. And if you generate an income for doing something you love, even better. It’s that sweet spot where you’re having a great time and doing something wonderful or as many people as possible.
Most of us leave our lives up to chance. We slide into mediocrity with a profession that we can tolerate because it pays the bills and stay there or in a similar situation until we’re ready to retire.
Living your purpose usually requires taking action with the intention of finding it.
9 Ways to Take the Challenge out of Finding Your Life Purpose
- Describe your ideal day. Project yourself several years into the future and imagine that your life is essentially perfect. Take a piece of paper and answer these questions… What would your life look like? Are you working? What type of work are you doing? What do you do all day? Who is in your life?
- Now that you know what the end looks like, what can you do today to take the first step in that direction?
- Try a Day of Solitude. Go to a remote place that inspires you. Bring plenty of water, even some snacks, a journal and pens and/or pencils. Just sit with yourself. Let your mind go. Write down the thoughts that appear.
- Volunteer. Find an organization in your community that interests you. Doing something worthwhile can be a good way to discover your purpose. Even if you come up short, at least you’ll have done something important.
- Assume you can do the impossible. When anything is possible, what would you do? Take action to bring your dreams to life. When anything is possible, what would you do?Click To Tweet
- Write. Similar to solitude but not as long. Perhaps the most effective way to discover your life’s purpose is to spend an hour writing. At the top of your paper write, "My life’s purpose." Now spend the next 60 minutes writing whatever pops into your mind.
- When you find something that stirs strong positive feelings within you, you’re probably on the right track.
- Investigate a new hobby. We all have at least one activity we’ve been putting off until a more convenient time. Doing something new exposes you to new ideas and thoughts. Now is the time to jump in and get started. You might be surprised what you discover.
- Do something that terrifies you. Skydiving? Public speaking? You might find your life’s purpose during the process of conquering this fear.
- This can be challenging and it might take some time, but get started today.
- Spend a day being totally inspired. From the time you wake up until the time you go to bed, attempt to spend every moment inspired. The right books, music, and movies can help you maintain an inspired mental state.
- You’ll believe you can do anything. What would you do?
- Ask yourself what you would do if you had $10 million. How would you spend your time? What would your life look like? Can you figure out a way to make a living doing one of the activities you would be willing to do for free if you had the time?
Keep trying the above tips until you’ve found something that really excites you. When you find your purpose, there will be no doubt. Also keep in mind that your purpose, may not be one big encompassing thing.
You will need to devote some time to thinking and planning but not so much you forget to enjoy your life. It’s having passions, and the perseverance to pursue them, that makes you a star.
Finding your life’s purpose will make life exciting and meaningful!
Ready to find your life purpose? All you need to do is discover your true inner ME… Your Magical Essence that makes you unique. Your innerME is meant to shine, meant to sparkle and achieve great things. Begin your journey of discovering how to unlock your dreams with the book The Journey to ME: Empowering You to Live a Life of Unstoppable Success.