What’s easier: Working toward your goals alone through trial and error, or seeking the guidance and direction of someone who’s been there and done that?
The answer is obvious. When you seek the advice of someone who has been through it all before, you can then avoid the same mistakes and focus your time and energy on what truly works. That’s the power of a life MEntor.
Imagine yourself with a set plan and just the right advice. MEntoring may shave years off the time it would have taken you to reach your goals otherwise!
Here are the top 7 reasons why you need a life MEntor:
- Builds confidence. You know you’re under the guidance of someone successful and that your goals are attainable.
- Guided plan. Sure, you can draft up a plan by yourself, but when you write out your plans with the help of a MEntor, you know you’re getting a realistic plan that works! Your MEntor will know shortcuts and can help you stay accountable as well.
- Conflicts. MEntors can help you cope with current conflicts and tensions in your life. They can also give you tips on how to avoid similar situations in the future.
- Personal attention. MEntoring allows you to get one on one attention so you can be personally guided along your chosen path. If you run into struggles, your MEntor will be there to provide much needed support and suggestions.
- Dealing with challenges. Things will not always go according to plan. When you hit a snag, your MEntor can help you overcome the challenge and steer you back into the correct direction. You can feel comfortable knowing that you’re receiving expert guidance.
- Versatility. You can decide how you’d like to use your MEntor. Do you want help with short-term goals or long-term goals? Perhaps you’d like both.
- Enthusiasm. Your MEntor likely has a great deal of enthusiasm for their work, which will naturally rub off on you. Sometimes it may be difficult to keep up your drive, but thankfully, inspiration is one of the main reasons why MEntors exist.
Finding a MEntor That’s Right for You
There are a few tips you should keep in mind when searching for a MEntor that will mesh well with your personal style. The first concern is that your MEntor should have certain credentials and experience. It depends on the field you’re in, but ensure you do your homework when it comes to checking up on your MEntor.
See if you can find testimonials and reviews about potential MEntors. Ask around and try to talk to someone else who has been MEntored by this person. After all, a good referral is always more trusted!
Communicate with your potential MEntor and see what his or her communication style is like. Ask yourself whether or not you think you’d get along well with this person. Some people might think the MEntor is fabulous, but if you don’t think you’ll personally communicate well, then it may not be a good fit for you.
Make sure your MEntoring sessions will be conducted in a format that you find comfortable. Ask yourself whether you’re the type of person that needs to meet face to face. Nowadays with technology we can communicate in many different ways. MEntoring sessions can take place over the phone, email, video conferencing, or in-person.
In the end you should be proud of yourself for seeking expert help. Follow these strategies to find a great life MEntor for you and jumpstart your journey into the life you desire.