Along any personal-development journey, it eventually becomes obvious the biggest enemy in your way is yourself.
Your limiting beliefs, self-defeating habits, and negative thoughts will create barriers between here and where you want to go.
We often ask too little of ourselves and doubt our ability to succeed in the future based on our previous struggles.
These techniques will help you break through your limits:
1. Decide what you will no longer tolerate. You put up with a lot from yourself. The late-night snacking, procrastination, and making excuses for not taking important action may be common scenarios in your life. Breaking the promises you made to yourself. When you accept poor behavior from yourself, you’ll get poor results.
- Make a list of all the things you will no longer do or accept. If you want to rise to a new level in any endeavor, it’s important to eliminate attitudes and behaviors that get in the way.
2. Define your goals. Make your goals bigger and better and stick with them. Think about the worst parts of your life and start there. It’s the lowest-rated parts of your life that create your limits and stifle your happiness.
- Raise your standards. Most people set goals that are too small. Set bigger goals and then figure out how to attain them quicker. With a good enough plan and hard work, you can accomplish a lot quickly.
3. Define the five most important behaviors for your future. What are five things you can do each day that will transform your life? Look to your goals for guidance. A few examples:
- Cold call or email at least 10 potential clients each day.
- Eat less than 2500 calories.
- Perform 50 pushups.
- Talk to one new person that could either be a potential friend or lover.
- Spend at least 30 minutes practicing the piano
- The things you do each day matter. If you look at your average current day, it’s easy to see why your life is exactly as it is. What can you do each day that will guarantee that next year will be amazing?
4. Find a quality mentor. A good mentor is one of the best ways to rise above yourself.
- Your ego will hide many of your weak spots from you. Your mentor will spot them for you.
- We often dismiss our greatest gifts. A mentor will see them and encourage you to embrace them
- A mentor will be able to see the truth.
5. Evaluate each day in writing. At the end of the day, make a list of the things you did right and those things you did wrong. Promise yourself to do fewer of the wrong things and more of the good things going forward.
6. Learn. Determine the three things you need to learn this year to have a great year. Where are you lacking? What skills do you want to develop or strengthen? You should always be learning something, but ensure you’re learning what will matter the most.
7. Enhance your ability to focus. If you can’t focus, you can’t accomplish much of anything. Try using a timer, learn to meditate, make lists, or try another method. The ability to focus comes with practice.
We’d like to think there’s a secret to succeeding – a quick trick and suddenly make our dreams come true. But nothing replaces digging in and getting to work on yourself.
Raise your expectations and personal standards. Evaluate yourself daily and find a mentor for help. You are your greatest enemy. Break through your self-imposed limits and success will be yours!